Post-Partum: Get my body back!

ImageI am currently 6 weeks post-partum and ready to get back into my pre-twin pregnancy shape! I coach crossfit, personal train and do nutrition programming for clients and love it. During my twin pregnancy however I wasn’t able to work out much at all (high-risk pregnancy, and one placenta was too low to risk it). So I am starting at ground ZERO and very excited for the challenge! I dont think I have ever taken more than a few months off from working out since I was about 5 years old so 10 months feels like SO long! I plan to post weekly updates of my thoughts, feelings, experiences, programming etc. to my blog-but hopefully will be posting details of my daily workouts and meals, recipes, etc. to my instagram account @hungryfitness (so follow me for those things!).

BACKGROUND:

My pre-twin pregnancy body.

Weight: 150

BF: 14.5%

Waist: 28-29 inches

Image

Image

Pregnancy and 6 weeks Post-Partum:

Image

36 weeks with the twinsImageImage

Image

Image

6 weeks post-partum

I was nervous to post my after-delivery photos because they are obviously nothing like my before-pregnancy photos but then I thought about it and decided, you know what? I have accomplished something incredible. I created and carried TWO humans FULL-TERM and then delivered them! I’ve never done something so amazing with my body in my whole life, and I have earned every single stretch mark and pound and I’m not ashamed of them, in fact, I’m proud of them. They are my proof of the hard moments and physical sacrifices I made to create the two most important little people in my life. So, here I am-this is real, this is what a body is SUPPOSED to look like after having a baby or babies, I dont have my 6-pack, I have some cellulite and love handles and I’m perfectly okay with all of it.

Now is the time to start my journey back however. I am a new mommy and taking care of my babies is my first priority, but I also know I will have nothing to give them if I’m not taking care of myself. Working out is part of that. Everyone is different and everyone has different amounts of time in the day, so don’t compare yourself to others when it comes to fitness, do what you can! The first thing I have learned as a new mom is that there is no “perfect’ way to do things, whether it be breast-feeding, sleep habits, soothing a baby, etc. it is important to find what works best for YOU and YOUR children. Comparing yourself to others or holding yourself to a standard you can’t meet isn’t fair to you or your children. So do your best, take care of yourself, and strive to be happy and accept yourself for doing so.

Now that I am in the clear to work out again I am SOOO excited to get back into my fitness routine! If you know me, you know that I’m a nerd when it comes to planning, I LOVE programs. So I’m setting myself up on a program and plan to do things in 6 week chunks of time and adjust/modify after each series. So, with that-here is what I’ll be up to for the next 6 weeks to get back into shape!

MY GOALS:

I gained about 40lbs and weight around 190lbs at the end of my pregnancy (delivered at 38 weeks) and my waist grew to 45 inches around my belly button. I am currently 162lbs and down to 35 inches on my waist.

My goals are to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 150lbs and body fat less than 18%, I need to check my body fat percentage this week to see where I’m at. I’m not concerned with when these things happen as long as I have steady progress each week!

These cosmetic goals are fun to aspire to, especially because they are easy to put to paper, and they make putting on clothes, or taking them off way more fun. ;) but my goals will REALLY be reached when I can run a 6 minute mile again, Clean and Jerk 200lbs, Snatch my body weight and do a Crossfit competition with a podium finish. I’ll be working hard toward those goals and be confident that the aesthetic ones will happen as a fun byproduct.

FOOD:

Image

My shopping cart today.

I’m so happy to kiss the crazy pregnancy hormones goodbye and get back to my regular healthy diet! (I know, I know, pregnancy isn’t an excuse to eat like crap-but it sure does make it EASY to!). So, what my diet will look like from here on out will be mostly catering to the Paleo diet. I’ll be sticking to REAL foods. Lots of vegetables, fruit, meat, eggs, healthy fats such as avocado, olives, coconut oil/milk, some nuts/seeds. I will be avoiding grains (except for rice on occasion), as well as dairy (with the exception of yogurt and string cheese on occasion as well).

I will be drinking over a gallon of water a day (which is VERY easy to do breastfeeding two babies and working out regularly) and eating often throughout the day. I’m not concerned with calories, because I’m eating real foods, so I trust my body to tell me what/how much I need.

Diet is where I will see almost ALL of my progress, my diet will be what makes my body weight go down and my waist decrease in size. My diet will be what gives me the energy TO do the hard workouts I want to do. So, I’ll do my best to prep meals ahead, have things on had that are easy to eat quickly, and find recipes that make eating healthy fun and simple!

WORKOUT PROGRAM:

Image

Crossfit Open 2012

My workout program for the next 6 weeks will look about like this:

Monday: Interval running

Tuesday: Scaled Crossfit Wod and/or Strength Training

Wednesday: Tempo Run or spin

Thursday: Scaled Crossfit Wod and/or Strength Training

Friday: Long Run

Sat/Sun: Rest (carry two car seats around!!!)

***Core strengthening daily. (See my instagram account for a post on core work specific to post-partum abs. (Strengthening lower abdominal muscles and decreasing separation).

As far as my fitness goes I plan to give maximum effort while paying close attention to how my body feels. I dont want to overdo it and risk an injury, but I want to begin to see results as well. I will be posting my specific workouts daily to my instagram account. Realize that the weight I am using might be too much for you, or not enough, we are all at different levels, so pay attention to your body and use what I’m doing as a template if you want to. Don’t necessarily worry about the weight you are at-just focus on Improving weekly and listening to your body!

I plan to sign up for a half marathon in Layton, UT October 26th, so I’ll be doing this template for the most part until then and be posting to my blog regularly with how my training is going, what modifications I’m doing, recipes, snack ideas, etc.

What would you guys like me to write about? Let me know of topics you want me to cover and I would be happy to! I’m so excited to start back on my fitness journey with the new perspective that motherhood has brought me. I have a greater appreciation for my body than ever before and I’m so excited to set a good example for my kiddos of what a positive, happy, healthy lifestyle looks like. I’m so thankful for my healthy pregnancy and even more grateful for the beautiful, amazing kiddos that make sure I get absolutely no sleep at night, constantly have poop/pee/spit-up all over and make me smile ALL DAY LONG. :)

We can do hard things, so lets.

Michaela

19 comments on “Post-Partum: Get my body back!

1. Mindy Sagers says:

Wow! You are just so amazing! Your babies are beautiful, you are beautiful, and I love your blog.

2. I would wish you luck on getting back in shape, but I don’t think you need it. You seem like a very mentally strong person. You can do this! Can’t wait to see your progress :) Congrats on the beautiful babies.

3. Kerra says:

A friend of mine posted a link to your blog!! I love it! I would love to offer one of these crazy skinny wraps that I sell. You may be extremely skeptical of it but Id like to wrap you free. My email is kerradavis@gmail.com
    Phone number is 8012595007
    Id be happy to send you more info on it before you decide. Get a hold of me cuz I know this could help you in your journey!

• What exactly is it? Like one of those body wraps or something I wear?

• Kerra says:

It’s a body wrap. ID love to send you just some basic info on how it works and the science behind it. It’s not one of this “quick fix” things that you may think. I only wrap people who take care of their bodies and don’t abuse it as a quick fix.

4. Stesha k D says:

Your an inspiration! I’m 9 months post-partum. I coach on occasion at SLC Crossfit and appreciate your positivity and confidence in your journey to getting back into shape. I would love to read about how you keep motivated and on task. What are your “go to’s” when feeling tired or unmotivated.

5. Crystal G says:

I have been following you on Instagram for a while now and this is my first time reading your blog :) I’m super excited about it and can’t wait to read some more!! I have been trying to eat Paleo so I’m also excited to try some of your recipes (your pics on Instagram always look so yummy!!!) Congrats to you and your husband on your two little bundles of joy :)

6. Terry says:

How old is too old to start? I am 56 and very over weight, I was thinking of getting gastric bypass, but would rather not. Can you help me?

• Terry! You’re never too old! Diet is the perfect place to begin, please try it before getting an invasive surgery!! Change your habits and that will change your health. Check out the following books:
      The paleo solution
      It starts with food
      The paleo diet

Also, can you use that money toward a personal trainer? I think getting moving will help sooo much as well!!

7. Shannon says:

You look great Michaela and your babies are adorable! I’m excited to follow along on your journey :) I would LOVE to know more about your grocery trips and what healthy snacks/meals you eat during the day (and how you keep them from getting boring) – that’s what I struggle with the most :)

Shannon

8. Kristyn says:

I have to tell you how happy and excited I am that I found this blog (first i found you on instagram and that lead me here). We come from very similar situations! I am currently 33 weeks pregnant with twins (b/g). I am also a Crossfit coach. My husband and I own a box here in Brantford On Canada called CrossFit Brantford. When im not at crossfit I am an elementary school teacher. This pregnancy has been really hard for me. I was brutally ill up to around 19 weeks and as soon as I began feeling better my OB said no more working out due to also being ‘high risk’. I haven’t had any problems in my pregnancy with my babies, they have been growing great and are healthy (I truly do attribute this to our paleo lifestyle—-with the occasional ‘treat’ slip up which, like you said seems to be much easier do cave into when your pregnant). I have a long journey back to where I was with my fitness and it can be overwhelming to think of how much work i know will need to be done to get back there.
    Throughout this pregnancy I have been missing my regular routine of working out SO much. I also have not gone this long in almost my entire life without doing some form of physical activity that keeps me happy (sports, dance working out etc.). I cannot wait to get back into it (hopefully sooner than later…*ahem* babies- any time now would be great!). Your blog is so insightful and having found someone who follows a similar lifestyle to mine helps so much more.
    I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your realness- how honest you seem to be with yourself and how realistic your goals for getting back your body seem to be! I plan to closely follow you over the next while and look forward to reading your posts!
    All the best,
    Kristyn
    ps. your babies are gorgeous!

• Kristyn- what is your IG name? I’m so excited for you!!! And yes the last month is sooo hard to wait for them to come!!! Haha but before you know it they’ll be here and the lack of sleep begins! Even though you’re probably so uncomfortable now, try to sleep as much as possible!!! Other than that though its amazing and the best thing in the whole world. You’ll have no problem getting back I’m sure! I felt so excited my first day back running I almost cheered when I hopped on the treadmill. Haha it feels so good to be able to MOVE again!!! I can’t wait to hear how you feel post- delivery and it would be fun to keep in touch as we commit to getting back in shape! I wish you the best on your pregnancy and delivery and motherhood!
      Sincerely,
      Michaela

9. Bridget Kruger says:

How tall are you? I have posted an eviction notice for my b/g twins and cannot wait to get back into my routine. I worked our up until 33 weeks and then went into PTL so had to put the breaks on. I sure hope my little frame can bounce back without all the much feared twin skin :/.

10. Kari says:

So glad I found this! Yesterday I was feeling bad when I measured my waist and hips 7 weeks postpartum. I gained 38 lbs and have been feeling frustrated at this new mommy body! Mainly the belly! Thanks for this inspiration!